The official waiting began on Tuesday when my sister-in-law posted on Facebook that her morning visit to the doctor resulted in her being asked back on Thursday so they can induce labor. Wednesday flew by without a peep and Thursday arrived quietly. No urgent call to my cell phone, no leaving work early - nothing. My brother indicated in the afternoon status call that they did this and they did that but ultimately, the this and the that had to run it's course so maybe by Friday there would be a new baby. So I went home looking forward to a quiet night.
Friday morning came and in the morning status call, I was told that the this and the that was still doing it's thing but were looking at a late-Friday or some time Saturday baby arrival. I decided to wait it out at work. Around 5PM, I get a call from my brother that finally the this and that was working its magic but no need to rush because it will still be several hours before the baby arrived. I said thanks for the heads up, thought for a second and decided to pack my stuff and off I went like a heard of turtles to The Valley in Friday night traffic.
An hour and forty-five minutes later, inching along the 405 traffic and still about twenty minutes away form the hospital, I received a call from my other brother. "It's a boy!" he professed proudly. And me, alone in my car and trying to slowly get onto the 101, cheered loudly and happily smiled. The freeway instantly opened up and after waiting for few hours with the rest of the family, I met my newest nephew.
Welcome baby - keeper of my grandfather's name - to the world from your Tio who is saving you a seat on the couch the next time we see Star Wars.
Friday, August 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment