
So if you live in Southern California, specifically in the Los Angeles area, regardless of what your calendar tells you, it is really hard to distinguish one season from another. Especially this year which has been rather hot even for Los Angeles standards.
But now that the Christmas holiday is upon us, we all look for the first sign of the coming winter. Most people would think that it would be the making of the first chocolate caliente of the season but you would be wrong. Because as all good Mexicans know, it is not really cold outside until you pull out your very own, handy-dandy cobija San Marcos. Because no matter what kind of heater you may own or what kind of insulation your home has, nothing - and I mean nothing - keeps you warm and toasty like a cobija San Marcos. And as of yesterday, it is time. Often imitated but never duplicated. I have mine, do you have yours?
And before I start getting any angry letters calling me a wanna-be, I know that the picture above is not an OG cobija San Marcos. But I have a reason for showing off a knock-off blanket. It is with a heavy heart that I must inform you that after over twenty years of keeping me warm, my reversible brown and tan cobija with the image of a horse and pony did not make it to another winter. A moment of silence please... So with great regret I must use this imitation blanket until I make a pilgrimage to the land of cobija's San Marcos (Tijuana, Mexico.) May my blanket rest in peace. As for those who still have your blankets, cherish the moments.
2 comments:
My favorite San Marcos was brown and tan with osito pandas. Around the same time Yuri had her hit song Osito Panda! Bueno y tambien te informo que San Marcos are made in the beautiful, the majestic, and my mamis hometown of Aguascalientes, AGS!
As far as I'm concerned -- San Marcos are super blankets!! My parents have had one for more than 20 years. I don't understand why yours did not last that long Franky?
Post a Comment