Granted, it wasn't like I working outside for an extended period of time or anything. But I could feel the heat when I left my air conditioned car to enter an air conditioned store or an air conditioned home. I’m just saying that it was hot.
On the nostalgic tip - since I pass most of my time indoors now - I (sometimes) miss those San Fernando Valley summers. Playing in that heavy heat and cooling off in creative ways such as:
- Running through the sprinklers while watering the lawn... ultimately turning the lawn into a swap area because the water ran too long. (Not the best way to conserve water I admit but we were just kids - what did we know.)
- Playing with a slip and slide that my mom happened to make out of some plastic material she had. She said it was the same thing as the one in the commercial but looking back, I don't think it was.
- The pool that my dad created one weekend using his truck bed and a few strategically placed towels. It was drained by Sunday night because he had to go work on Monday.
- The bath tub that my dad brought home one day and set up in the backyard for us kids to sit in while the water hose filled it to the brim.
- Drinking some Kool-Aid but mostly fruit juices that my mom would make fresh like this red drink called Jamaica that looked like Kool-Aid and was apparently Kool-Aid's cousin according to my mom but it just tasted funny.
- Drinking a plethora of water straight from the hose since the invention of bottled water was only a faint dream.
But looking back, I don't know if the heat ever really got to me as it does now - dang old age. But ahh, those were the days. It's still too hot though.
1 comment:
i always found agua de limon the most refreshing, also made by my mom and never too sweet...
this summer i have definitely found a cold tecate with limon a sure way to help coexist with the heat.
see growing up isn't soo bad :)
Post a Comment