Thursday, June 21, 2007

New CD Tuesday (The Lost Entry)*

Note: The reason why this is "the lost entry" is because it was supposed to be posted two Tuesday's ago. I normally write my entries first on paper - old-school style - and then post it. This one was written on the back of a Denny's place mat and I kind of misplaced it. Only to be found this morning underneath an envelope and the CD that inspired the musing.


There was a time when I looked forward to Tuesdays. Because Tuesdays were the day when all new CDs would drop (as the kids now say) at your local record shop. My shop of choice was Tower Records. So on selected Tuesdays, I would go to the nearest shop, pick up the new CD - which was always on sale at a good price - then peruse the aisles to see what other CDs I could pick up. That is no longer the case.

Don't get me wrong, I still look forward to New CD Tuesday, but since the "local" record shop is on the verge of extinction like they were dinosaurs, it makes it a bit hard to pick up the new tunes. Let me explain...

I could go to the other retail stores (Target / Wal-Mart / Best Buy etc.) and yes, they have lower prices, but if it isn't the current pop darling or on heavy rotation on any of the "popular" stations, good luck finding it. If I'm looking for the newest ditty Avril Lavigne has to offer then they got it. But looking for Los Lobos - not so much.

And if you even try to ask for help, the never to be found employees look at you with a deer in the headlights expression and say "huh?" And if for some reason they have the CD I'm looking for, there is no perusing afterwards unless you are looking for something other than music. Because their music sections are so small, they have to be selective on what they offer. So where as Tower Records would carry every Beatles album plus some imports, The Beatles section at Target will normally only carry "1" (the best of CD) and maybe "Love" (the Cirque de Soleil soundtrack which technically is not a Beatles album.)

I could just download the album from iTunes but it is not same thing. The thing about store-bought albums is not only is it something tangible but it is the complete package. Once you get past the cellophane wrapping (which I know could be a problem) you get to see the album and it's package design. That alone can be considered art.There is also the pictures and lyrics and other items that can entertain.

I could purchase it through amazon.com but then I would have to wait about 5 days later after the release date to finally hear the album. Plus, I would have to pay extra for shipping unless I purchased more than $25 of merchandise but this type of perusing is not the same and usually ends up with me being annoyed.

I could drive to Amoeba (located in Hollywood) but that's a grand ol' production. First I have to drive in LA traffic. Then park in a 6-level parking structure that is a block away from the actual store. Then I pick up the CD which if I'm lucky maybe a dollar off regular price. And then since I'm there, I will definitely peruse only to find an hour later that I'm standing in line with way too much stuff. So then I get out of line to figure out what CDs I really want and what I'll be putting back. And since I just can't leave it anywhere (because it annoys me when I'm looking for an album and it is not where it should be) I put everything back from which I found it.

Yup. It is a dilemma.

1 comment:

Lorena said...

ummm, i didn't know about new cd tuesday! add that to my lack of the doors trivia and my music iq is definitely slipping :( but at least i can walk to amoeba :)