Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Days

I am the first to admit, I have never been very good at time management. For some reason, this talent has eluded me. I'm good at multi-tasking small projects (sometimes) and great at estimating how long it would take me to drive from point A to point B. But creating a "to do" list and actually accomplishing the items listed on said list at the same time has always been a gamble. I remember when I was in college, I had friends who were able to schedule classes throughout the week, and in between classes would hold three different jobs as well as volunteer in campus organization and still had time to hang out. Not me. I did not have that talent and truth be told, I wish I did... especially now.

The reason I'm currently pondering about my absent skill is that lately, I've been a bit busy to put it mildly. Because my current life schedule consists of the following:
  • Drive (give or take) about 35 miles to work in dreaded Los Angeles traffic which amounts to about 1 hour and 15 minutes of drive time most of the time.
  • Attempting to cram-in a 12-hour work day into 8 short hours all the while realizing that new projects will all ways pop up, my to do list only get longer and that I am doing the job of 3 people and only being paid in the end (after calculating drive time and actually hours spent working) about minimum wage.
  • Drive another 35 miles (give or take) back home in dreaded Los Angeles traffic which amounts to about 1 hour and 45 minutes of drive time most of the time.
  • Eating at my desk - never seeing the light of day because I have a job that basically has me sitting in front of a computer all day - to take care of personal things like looking for a jaw doctor which I have been planning to do for over 3 weeks now.
  • Trying to figure out at what time it would be best to work out - before work (plus - at 5:30 AM, no one is at the gym / negative - drive time is longer because I would be in the middle of morning traffic,) at lunch (plus - I actually get out of the office for an hour / negative - I sweat a lot, so even if I took a cold shower after the work out, I would still be sweating even as I sit at my desk kind of like the the musty little kids that would return from lunch in elementary school,) or after work (plus - avoid after work traffic... sometimes / negative - the gym is crowded - with fitness freaks, beginners, singles trying to impress and in the lockers, old guys who have no problem being in their birthday suits as well as arriving home really late.)
  • Trying to spend as much time with my current family since in three months I will be spending most of my time with my new wife.
  • Talking about new wife, helping to plan what I like to call a "Martha Stewart-like Wedding for the Modern Mexican-American Couple."
  • Trying to find time to write on this here blog and my journal.
  • Trying to find the time to attend family and friend events.
  • Sleeping.
  • And most importantly - goof off time.

Yes, I'm currently living a very busy life so the time management skill would come in real nice right about now.

No comments: