
In this fast paced world of ours, where you can find a Starbucks on every corner and a cookie-cutter chain stores in every town, companies are working harder to be original and stand out from the crowd.
Side note: The last line is an oxymoron because you should not work at being original, you just are. But that is a discussion for another day.
Where was I... oh yeah, cookie-cutter stores trying to be different.
On the second leg of last weeks business travels, I was in Portland on Tuesday and Wednesday and stayed at the Portland Monaco Hotel. The hotel was a remodeled older building and is part of the Kimpton Hotels chain which are known for their "whimsical" decorating.
In this particular hotel, whimsical means that as I entered my room, I found a teddy bear laying in the center of my bed starring at me as to say "Welcome!" I starred at the bear as it starred back at me with a friendly furry smile all the while trying to figure out what I - a 33-year old business traveler - was supposed to do with a teddy bear laying on my bed. And since I wasn't planning to share my bed that night, Furry McBear was picked up and placed on top of the TV, where it continued to stare at me.
But don't get me wrong, I did enjoy my stay there and would stay again but I would like a bit of warning if I'm entering a room that will have a teddy bear laying on the bed... as well as a little warning regrading the animal print bathrobes hanging in the closet would have been good too. That's another story also.
No comments:
Post a Comment