
The thing about living with your parents for 33 years and then moving out is that your parents own all the furniture you are currently using. So as I moved out, the only things that came with me were my CD's, book case (needed something to hold the CD's,) stereo, TV (that my brother donated to me two months ago,) collectibles, assorted mementos and clothes.
So, until I get married in October and we purchase essential furniture, I'm currently living "like a college student." Although as a college student, because I was living with my family, I lived in a fully-furnished home. But that is beside the point. Beyond the assorted metal folding chairs and cardboard boxes pretending to be tables, the essential temporary furniture has been a bed.
I started the new apartment experience by sleeping on single-person sofa that turns into a single-person bed that if my memory serves me correctly, was purchased at Montgomery-Ward. There was also a night on a glorified yoga mat but that thing went back to the store right quick.
But now, I'm the proud owner of a Costco purchased AeroBed Raised Queen Air Mattress and sleeping has been good. Although there has been something that has crossed my mind. As I lay there on my fancy-shmancy air bed, I started to think. And what I thought about is that the reality is that the only thing that is keeping me from crashing to the ground is a sheet of plastic and air. I'm basically floating 18" above the ground as I sleep. Beyond the whole floating thing - what happens if I spring a leak in the middle of the night? I know I won't come crashing down (I hope) but I'll probably slowly sink into the plastic eventually getting tangled up into a plastic straight jacket and since I'm currently living alone I don't know how long I will be stuck like that...
OK, maybe I'm going a bit far. But still, sleeping on an air mattress is pretty trippy. I'm just saying.
2 comments:
i have seen these beds used for hdtv shows and if you just put some bedding on it (300+ thread count cotton) it would look less depressing!!!
Whoops - I forgot to add a note to the post. I actually have bedding but I wanted to take the picture naked so you know it is an air mattres.
Post a Comment