Sunday, July 27, 2008

Impulse Buying

I've never liked shopping. There has always been something about the shopping experience that has always rubbed me the wrong way. So, as you would expect, I try and avoid it as much as possible.

But on the rare occasion that I am shopping, I have been known to be an impulsive buyer. That type of buying that is done at the spare of the moment, with out any previous planning or thought. You see an item and think, "Yes, I do need this." And if it's at a good price, even better.

Now, the whole "I hate shopping" has an exception. And it is a pretty big exception. That exception is that... wait for it... I love Costco. I know that is a strange statement from someone who supposedly hates shopping but it's true - I love Costco. There is something about going that huge warehouse and roaming the wide aisles filled with multi-pack items at low, low prices that gets me all happy inside. Plus you have that great return policy and $1.50 hot dog and soda, what more can you ask for.

If you ask my wife, restrain would be good.

Because she does not share my enthusiasm, I take the bi-monthly trips on my own. And as you can imagine, nothing good ever comes when I'm left to my own devises so more often than not, I come home with items that were not on my shopping list.

Case in point, this past Monday I went to the local Costco with the following items on my shopping list - chicken, sponges, chewing gum and water. All these items were purchased... along with these additional items - a 3-pack of spiral notebooks (which I just so happen to use for work), a pair of cargo shorts (because you can never have too many) and a watch (no excuse for this one.)

I think the worst or oddest purchase I've made at Costco was the time I went in to purchase milk and water and came home with those items plus a new 4-person Coleman tent. Even though I had a perfectly good 2-person tent at home... which was free... and had only used once in the six years that I had the tent.

I do like my new watch though.

The entry posted while listening to disc 4 of The Led Zeppelin Box Set which just happens to be an impulse buy from Costco.

No comments: