Monday, May 21, 2007

On a Sunday Afternoon

On a particular Sunday, my family drove east to her families home for a meet and greet. Since we are to wed in less than five months or 139 days, we thought this to be appropriate.

We arrived with a lovely fruit basket in hand and her and I introduced our respective family members. After the introductions were completed, my family quickly made their way to one end of the table and her family went to the other end of the table. Her and I were in the middle.

Dinner was served and we all helped ourselves to the delicious meal. (Special note: Great Googley-Moogley! The meal was way above and beyond delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed it.) There was some conversation between the families but then back to their respective ends of the table.

"Hmmm, this is not going quite as I expected?", I said to myself.

Dinner was finished and desert was brought out which everyone partook in. My oldest niece decided that she was tired of being still and was determined on letting everyone know. So she made her rounds up and down the table with a melting popsicle in hand. She walked up to her nephew - our godson - who was sitting underneath a tree who had his own melting ice cream in his hand.

She waved hello and he closed his eyes and sat still hoping that she would not see him. She got closer and gave him a kiss in that one-year old baby kind of way where it is more of a face butt than a kiss. He quickly wiped his face clean as she walked away smiling.

The families laughed and started mingling. Conversations and laughter could be seen through out the table. The families continued to talk and laugh as the sun set. It was good.

A few more dinners - or any other type of meal for that matter - and I think it will be just right. Good thing her and I will have the rest of our lives to bring our families together.

This entry written while listening to the album "The Impulse Story" by John Coltrane.

1 comment:

Viktor Rocks said...

Good....Cause i get hungry.